Monday, July 02, 2007

The Long and Winding Road

20 days and counting. Craziness!

Only a couple more big workouts left followed by one much needed taper. This weekend was another solid weekend of deposits into the Bank of Ironman. 5 hour ride on Saturday followed by a 16-mile run of Sunday. 16 miles is the longest I've pounded the pavement since the Philly marathon...and I gotta tell ya...it felt pretty damn good! There's something special about the long run that I don't quite find on my long rides. Granted, the long rides are pretty damn special too, but there's something about going long on the run that's just perfect. Although I haven't been going as long in my run training as I did during my Philly Marathon training, I'm running a better pace and I am recovering WAY FASTER. This speaks to my overall fitness level, I suppose.

I plan on pumping out one more very long ride and one more very long run and then I begin my taper. Some of you who are doing Lake Placid have already begun your taper. I'm jealous. I feel the need to stretch out my training because for me it's all about the base. My training regimen really knows no intensity, so the need for a long, drawn out taper is not quite as necessary. But let me tell you, when I hit my taper in a few days it is going to be a big taper! I really can't wait for it. Since hitting the Submit Payment button on active.com for Ironman Lake Placid last July, I have basically trained non-stop with the exception of a two-week hiatus after the Philly Marathon. For the last year I've woken up with sore legs. It's been quite the long and winding road indeed.

The final exam is in 20 days in Lake Placid. Hopefully my #2 pencil will be sharpened.

3 Comments:

Blogger Duane said...

Make sure you post your bib number so we can track you and give us an estimated time so maybe we can watch online as you cross the finish line. Very cool!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Bullet said...

Stay after it man. Exciting times ahead.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Lokking forward to your IM excellence. The long journey is about to reach a major milestone when you hit IMLP.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home