Thursday, May 24, 2007

Between the (Lane) Lines

Last night was another classic long swim for me in the Philly burbs. 4000 yards deposited into the Bank of Jeremy and Ironman.

2X2000 yards on 30 minute intervals.

First 2000 in 29:00
Second 2000 in 28:50

I'm not the biggest poster of individual workouts...but my ego forces me to post my long swims sometimes. Maybe because it's the only one of the three disciplines where a reader might stop by, take a look, and think that I'm not crappy at something!

All kidding aside, this makes me think about the abilities that I have and don't have in sport and life in general. You might look at my swims and think that I am a talented swimmer. Truth be told, I've never thought of myself as a very good swimmer. I was a walk-on Division I swimmer in college. Most folks wouldn't know the difference between the talent level of a walk-on Division I swimmer and a scholarship Division I swimmer. I do. Most people wouldn't know the difference between the talent level between a scholarship Division I swimmer and a Senior National qualifier. I do. The differences are light years apart. I know a number of swimmers who can do 2000 repeats in under 20 minutes. These people are very good swimmers. I am not that good...probably average at best relative to others who've done it for as long as I have.

Perceptions on ability are all in the eye of the beholder. What you might be impressed by doesn't impress me much. Same holds true for vice versa scenarios. I absolutely love reading blogs of terrific cyclists or runners who write about terribly slow workouts with averages like 20mph or 7:00 miles, respectively. I love talking to my former college roomie who I've mentioned in prior posts. The guy is a ridiculous athlete by my perception. Sub-9:50 in Kona. Sub-2:50 marathoner. He thinks of himself as an average athlete. Most if not all of you would think he's an incredible talent. He doesn't. Because he knows that people run sub-2:10 in Boston and men like Faris and Normann exist in Kona.

As I continue on this Ironman journey my body, mind and perceptions continue to change. It's a wonderful ride to be on. I am a very fortunate man. Thank you for being a part of this ride.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Stretch Doc said...

I would love to be your friends avg. Triathlete!

Great swim, nice times.

Lake Placid! How cool will that be!

thanks for stoppn` by, come bak again now, ya hear. :)

rockon`

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, and great SWIM! Ugh, I hate swimming...

Something you said reminded me of a post I had drafter once on how I see my performance only relative to a few people above me, and a few people below me... Beyond that, there are *countless* athletes that are so much better than I in this sport - yet I never really pay them much regard ;-)

6:27 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Great post and a terrific swim. I only swim that fast in my dreams. And I agree, it is all a matter of perspective and I wish I was a bit closer to some of those average athletes.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Dude, if you are an average swimmer, I don't even want to think where I rate! ;-)

Great post though..totally spot on regarding perception.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home