Friday, May 04, 2007

Feelin' Flat

Last week had me feelin' a bit flat. Not emotionally. Not bodily. But rather my rear wheel on my long ride last Saturday.

Last week was another decent week of training. It only ended up being 13 hours and change. It was planned to be 15 hours and change, but my bike's mechanical issues hampered my ability to hit the road with my bike on Sunday.

There were some definite highlights* for sure.

* 12 mile run last Thursday.

* 4500 yard swim last Friday.

* 75 mile bike ride on Saturday.

Like I said...all around good stuff.

My Saturday ride was particularly good. Working my way up to 75 miles outdoors feels good. I probably should be hitting the century mark on my long rides by now and hope to be there soon enough. My ride last Saturday spanned 4 hours 20 minutes and 26 seconds (17.3 mph). In the final 60 seconds, as luck would have it...I flatted! Who the hell flats at the end of a 75 mile ride when their car is in sight? This guy does. Rather than pulling over to the side of the road with 1 minute left in the ride, I just rode the rim to my car. I know I know...not good to do...but when it's only for 1 minute and you've already put in 74 miles and change, you can count on me not pulling over and prolonging the session any more. Believe it or not, this is my bike's first flat since I got it in December of 2005! Rest assured, the flat's fixed and I'm happy to be back in business on the bike. My nutrition was pretty spot on during the ride as well. For 4 hours I managed to put 1440 calories in my body, which works out to be 360 calories an hour. Not bad. It was pretty simple actually. One Uncrustable (210 calories) and one 24-ounce bottle (150 calories) of Gatorade per hour for the first four hours. I am convinced that the creator of Uncrustables is a triathlete. There are beyond delicious. I highly recommend them for training or any other gluttonous endeavor. In the final 20 minutes of the ride I took in no nutrition...just coasted to my car and flatted!

Hopefully this weekend proves to be another solid couple of days for training.

Thanks very much for reading.

6 Comments:

Blogger Duane said...

It's getting closer! Looks like you're pretty consistent in your training.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Sounds like your training is going well.

Also glad to see that your timing for your flat was spot on.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

17.3 avg for 75-miles - rockin!
You are really rolling right now. Keep it up.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Hey Jeremy - Stopped by your blog after reading on Mike and Steven's. I'm from Philly originally and I've finished the Philly Marathon twice. I still love the hometown race! Good luck training for your Ironman - I don't know many people on the East Coast who compete in them, so I wish you all the best!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Jeremy...solid chunk of training there! Your highlight workouts are key..nice big volume workouts there!

Thanks for the tip on the crustables..I may have to give them a go! Keep it rolling!

8:32 AM  
Blogger The Hartman Family said...

Great to see the training still moving along well. 17+ is pretty good for a 75 mile ride. Especially around here as it is pretty hilly. I'll be out for 75 tomorrow.

Dave

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home