Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Seesaw or Snowball?

Over the course of this journey of Ironman I find myself constantly reflecting on where I've been and where I'm about to go. My date with Lake Placid is less than 11 weeks away. Holy @!%#...Lake Placid is less than 11 weeks away?!

My first big test of my fitness is less than 3 weeks away up in the hills of the Poconos at the Black Bear Half Ironman. Urgency is really starting to smack me in the face as I draw closer to Black Bear and especially Ironman Lake Placid.

Last week was cranking along well. But the funny thing with going long in tri-training is that your whole week has to be a masterpiece. Not just part of the week. The whole damn week you have to fire on all cylinders or else your base can suffer. I missed one workout last week. Unfortunately it was mon piece de resistance...the long ride. Funny how missing the long ride turns your 15 hour plan into a 9 hour clunker. Enter the seesaw.

From week to week I feel one of two ways. I am either a seesaw or a snowball. The seesaw is a ride full of its ups and its downs. One moment you're high. The next you're low. Although being high occasionally isn't a bad thing, it's still not fun to be low. While many of you seasoned triathletes doing Ironman having a very complex training regimen filled with words like Build, Speedwork and Threshold, my Ironman training is really at its most basic level just one big base build with recovery time built in when I need to recover. Lots of long steady workouts aimed at training my body to function for up to 17 hours on July 22. With less than 11 weeks left until Lake Placid, I have to say...I'm done with this seesaw nonsense. Enter the snowball.

I love the idea of a snowball atop a mountain. As it rolls downward it grows larger and larger, gaining momentum the entire way. Before you know it, the snowball turns itself into a massive avalanche. As I read other tri-blogs, all I see is the snowball. As I scroll through my daily reads, I love seeing the progress that others continue to make as they move forward towards their goals.

This week has been a good turnaround from a disappointing missed workout last weekend. Instead of my standard Monday day of rest, I rode for 2 hours. Instead of an average day in the pool yesterday, I banged out 5000 yards. 5X1000 on 16 minutes (14:25, 14:03, 14:00, 13:54, 13:45).

Needless to say, I'm done effing around. Black Bear in less than 3 weeks. Ironman Lake Placid in less than 11.

From now until July 22, I am the snowball.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen brother. Be the snowball.

Damn, 11 weeks?!?! Where's this time *going*?!?!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

*** BE THE BALL!!! ***

2:36 PM  
Blogger Duane said...

You are the ball! And soon to be an Ironman! How freakin' cool will that be!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Jeremy..I hear you on the training. I am always a bit antsy until I get my key workouts under my belt for the week.
Keep it rolling and no worries about build / speedwork and all that mumbo jumbo...it's all about consistency anyways and it sounds like you have the right attitude...

HIT_IT !

11:30 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

It sounds like that snowball is rolling. And I am with you on the consistency and the long workouts. The first goal, in my mind, is to finish as strong as possible.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Wow - those are amazing swim splits. What a killer workout.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Dude,

Including taper, we actually only have 7 weeks left to train. That's only 7 long rides and 49 days!!!

I only focus on getting myself ready for the long ride. Test my nutrition/hydration, get use to riding on hills (spinning) and build that engine.

I do understand the seesaw effect. This week I am off.but i let it slide...better give my body a break before i get injured.

5 k..dang u swimmers ;)

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home