Ironmanifesto
On the morning I registered for IMLP I sent an e-mail to friends and family titled "Ironmanifesto", which summarized my motivations and desires to step up to the plate next July and attempt to redefine possible. After receiving an overwhelming amount of positive feedback regarding the letter I've decided to post it on my blog for the rest of the world to see. Hope you enjoy...
Hi everyone. I want to let you all know that at 9:21 this morning I registered for the Ironman Triathlon, which will take place on July 22, 2007 in Lake Placid, New York. For those of you not familiar with the Ironman, it is a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike and a 26.2-mile run. The cut off time for completing the race is 17 hours.
You might ask why I would subject myself to such an insane endeavor. To give you a long-winded answer, I’ll give you some background information on me that you may or may not already know. Growing up in Rhode Island and during college my existence revolved around a pool, a pair of goggles and a swim suit. When I graduated from college I was completely burned out from training and competing. I basically quit exercising cold turkey. What was originally planned to be a short hiatus from exercise turned into nearly five years of complete and utter lethargy. Some facets of life have a strange way of passing you by when you’re not paying attention. When I moved to Pennsylvania in June of 2005 I was in frighteningly poor physical health. Something had to change.
I have never been the type of person who just exercised for the good of my health. I have always exercised because it was mandatory for race preparation. For whatever reason, I need that overt, tangible motivation to keep me going. Triathlons seemed like such a logical answer for a former swimmer who didn’t want to do the full-time Speedo routine again, wanted some variety in their exercise regimen, and wanted to participate in an activity that they would have at least some prior background in.
I will begin my Ironman training plan shortly after Silvia and I run our first marathon together in November. My training days will be long and exhaustive, but what in life is worth doing if it’s not a challenge? The challenge - this is the answer to the question of why I would subject myself to such an insane endeavor. Not just the challenge of completing a 140.6-mile race, but more importantly the challenge of reversing far too many years of complacency regarding my health. Every lap in the pool, every pedal on my bike and every stride of a run will be working towards crossing the Ironman finish line under the 17-hour cut off.
I’ve created a blog to serve as a training diary for my progress. Come along for the ride at http://jeremylisnoff.blogspot.com
-Jeremy
Hi everyone. I want to let you all know that at 9:21 this morning I registered for the Ironman Triathlon, which will take place on July 22, 2007 in Lake Placid, New York. For those of you not familiar with the Ironman, it is a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike and a 26.2-mile run. The cut off time for completing the race is 17 hours.
You might ask why I would subject myself to such an insane endeavor. To give you a long-winded answer, I’ll give you some background information on me that you may or may not already know. Growing up in Rhode Island and during college my existence revolved around a pool, a pair of goggles and a swim suit. When I graduated from college I was completely burned out from training and competing. I basically quit exercising cold turkey. What was originally planned to be a short hiatus from exercise turned into nearly five years of complete and utter lethargy. Some facets of life have a strange way of passing you by when you’re not paying attention. When I moved to Pennsylvania in June of 2005 I was in frighteningly poor physical health. Something had to change.
I have never been the type of person who just exercised for the good of my health. I have always exercised because it was mandatory for race preparation. For whatever reason, I need that overt, tangible motivation to keep me going. Triathlons seemed like such a logical answer for a former swimmer who didn’t want to do the full-time Speedo routine again, wanted some variety in their exercise regimen, and wanted to participate in an activity that they would have at least some prior background in.
I will begin my Ironman training plan shortly after Silvia and I run our first marathon together in November. My training days will be long and exhaustive, but what in life is worth doing if it’s not a challenge? The challenge - this is the answer to the question of why I would subject myself to such an insane endeavor. Not just the challenge of completing a 140.6-mile race, but more importantly the challenge of reversing far too many years of complacency regarding my health. Every lap in the pool, every pedal on my bike and every stride of a run will be working towards crossing the Ironman finish line under the 17-hour cut off.
I’ve created a blog to serve as a training diary for my progress. Come along for the ride at http://jeremylisnoff.blogspot.com
-Jeremy


2 Comments:
Jeremy,
Thanks for posting in my blog. So you got in before they were sold out too huh?
It's nuts. Right now all I can think about is getting off the bike from riding 112 miles then staring at the 26.2 run.
Good luck on your marathon.
As for the HRM, note that the S720 is for cycling. S625X, on the other hand, has a foot pod to track running speed and also has an option to monitor bike speed/cadence.
I am right now using a cheapy timex HRM. So I ain't expert in this subject. For my next upgrade though, I would pick either a Garmin or a Polar. I am leaning towards a polar b/c I can use it in the water as well.
Looking forward to watching your Ironman journey!
Post a Comment
<< Home