The faint. The dings. The celeb.
Apologies again for my lack of blogging! It’s been a challenging couple of weeks for me, to say the least.
In terms of my training - two weeks ago was a letdown. I was scheduled for some more big brick action over the weekend, but ended up only managing about 1 hour of workouts over the two days. In PA we had a helluv an ice storm and I went to my sister- and brother-in-laws house to help them shovel their driveway in preparation for my niece’s birthday (4 years old!). I made the idiotic mistake of not drinking or eating anything in the morning before I went over to their house. Unfortunately I paid for it by fainting face first in the snow and ice. Fortunately, when you faint into snow and ice you at least avoid hitting your head on concrete - there’s a bright side to any negative experience as I’ve found out through life! Kidding aside, I was a bit freaked out as I had never fainted before. I’ll chalk it up to dehydration, but I still need to go see my doc to make sure all of my cylinders are firing correctly. The moral of the story is that if you are going to shovel snow and ice in preparation for your niece’s birthday party – do yourself a favor and drink some water beforehand! I don’t like to screw with my health, so instead of a planned 7 hour training weekend it turned into a 1 hour training weekend with only 6 total hours logged for the week. Crapola!
Last week was okay in terms of training. I managed my longest ride yet on Saturday (4 hours 10 minutes), followed by a 12 mile run on Sunday, which happened to be my longest jaunt since the Philadelphia Marathon in November. All in all I only managed 10 hours and 7 minutes for the week as my consistency was mediocre during the work week. Reason being I was pretty down and out about getting dings (a.k.a. rejections) from two of the three business schools I applied to. It really stung at first, but I’m starting to feel better about the whole process. These are really fiercely competitive programs to get into, and if things don’t work out for me this year I will go back to the drawing board and reapply for next year. Failure puts success into context better than anything else.
A bright side to last week was my tri-celebrity sighting last Thursday in Philadelphia at City Sports on Walnut Street. The store promoted a “trunk sale” for tri gear, so I headed over with Silvia to check it out. Low and behold, Nicole DeBoom was there to promote her SkirtSports clothing line which is now being carried by City Sports. Not only was this a tri-celeb sighting, but it turns out that Nicole and I have only 1 degree of separation. That 1 degree being Silvia. Silvia and Nicole swam together at Yale. Craziness! Let me say, it was so cool to ask her “so…what’s Tim doing for races this year?” Referring to Tim DeBoom by first name only…so cool! I am such a tri-geek!
One final note – In today’s newspaper my horoscope read: “Be realistic about what your physical capabilities are.” - It's obvious to me that the author of this is not a triathlete and most likely has never heard of Ironman!
That’s about all for now. Thanks again for reading!
In terms of my training - two weeks ago was a letdown. I was scheduled for some more big brick action over the weekend, but ended up only managing about 1 hour of workouts over the two days. In PA we had a helluv an ice storm and I went to my sister- and brother-in-laws house to help them shovel their driveway in preparation for my niece’s birthday (4 years old!). I made the idiotic mistake of not drinking or eating anything in the morning before I went over to their house. Unfortunately I paid for it by fainting face first in the snow and ice. Fortunately, when you faint into snow and ice you at least avoid hitting your head on concrete - there’s a bright side to any negative experience as I’ve found out through life! Kidding aside, I was a bit freaked out as I had never fainted before. I’ll chalk it up to dehydration, but I still need to go see my doc to make sure all of my cylinders are firing correctly. The moral of the story is that if you are going to shovel snow and ice in preparation for your niece’s birthday party – do yourself a favor and drink some water beforehand! I don’t like to screw with my health, so instead of a planned 7 hour training weekend it turned into a 1 hour training weekend with only 6 total hours logged for the week. Crapola!
Last week was okay in terms of training. I managed my longest ride yet on Saturday (4 hours 10 minutes), followed by a 12 mile run on Sunday, which happened to be my longest jaunt since the Philadelphia Marathon in November. All in all I only managed 10 hours and 7 minutes for the week as my consistency was mediocre during the work week. Reason being I was pretty down and out about getting dings (a.k.a. rejections) from two of the three business schools I applied to. It really stung at first, but I’m starting to feel better about the whole process. These are really fiercely competitive programs to get into, and if things don’t work out for me this year I will go back to the drawing board and reapply for next year. Failure puts success into context better than anything else.
A bright side to last week was my tri-celebrity sighting last Thursday in Philadelphia at City Sports on Walnut Street. The store promoted a “trunk sale” for tri gear, so I headed over with Silvia to check it out. Low and behold, Nicole DeBoom was there to promote her SkirtSports clothing line which is now being carried by City Sports. Not only was this a tri-celeb sighting, but it turns out that Nicole and I have only 1 degree of separation. That 1 degree being Silvia. Silvia and Nicole swam together at Yale. Craziness! Let me say, it was so cool to ask her “so…what’s Tim doing for races this year?” Referring to Tim DeBoom by first name only…so cool! I am such a tri-geek!
One final note – In today’s newspaper my horoscope read: “Be realistic about what your physical capabilities are.” - It's obvious to me that the author of this is not a triathlete and most likely has never heard of Ironman!
That’s about all for now. Thanks again for reading!


3 Comments:
Glad to see that you are back. I trust that your training will get back on schedule and you will once again be rocking in no time.
The fainting thing must have been weird. Although I think shovelling snow can take a lot out of you. It is physically pretty taxing.
Hey careful with the snow shoveling..not that you have any issues, but I've heard many out of shape people get heart attacks doing that because they don't realize how physically taxing that activity is! Fainting-yikes!
good points and attitude on the b-school deal...if it came easy, you wouldn't appreciate it as much right? Keep pushing!
Post a Comment
<< Home