Thursday, March 15, 2007

Reverse Bricks

Okay…for the record, run to bike “reverse bricks” are just about the hardest thing I’ve done thus far in training. Last week was another decent week of IMLP training. 12 hours in total. Getting solid hours in during the work week was challenging, as the man was keeping me in the office late on multiple nights. That said, I did put in another 5-hour brick on Saturday. I’m all about mixing things up in training and keeping it interesting. On Saturday and Sunday I did reverse bricks where I ran first and rode second. I don’t know what it is about running first and riding last, but it feels ten times harder than doing things the other way around. Running through Valley Forge for a near 8 mile run and following that run by riding for 3 hours 47 minutes and 28 seconds to top off a 5-hour brick was the single hardest effort I’ve put in thus far during my Lake Placid journey. On Sunday I put in another reverse brick, but it was far abbreviated relative to my Saturday effort. I’ve been trying to take Steven’s advice and try to run with my wife once a week. I love being able to spend quality time with Silvia during workouts. Following our run, I hopped back on the bike for 1 hour 16 minutes and 37 seconds to top off a 2 hour reverse brick.

Not too shabby.

Monday: Scheduled Rest
Tuesday: Bike - 120 minutes
Wednesday: Bike - 60 minutes
Thursday: Swim - 60 minutes
Friday: Run - 60 minutes
Saturday: Run - 1:12:32, Bike - 3:47:28
Sunday: Run - 0:43:23, Bike - 1:16:37

Total Swim: 1:00:00
Total Bike: 8:04:05
Total Run: 2:55:55
Total Time: 12:00:00

Thanks again for reading!

5 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

You're putting up some solid training hours...nice job.

And at the same time trying to keep peace and harmony back at home.

That will pay-off when the training time really gets intense.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Wow, it sounds like you are on track for your IM. That reverse brick sounds like something I may want to avoid.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Howie Lisnoff said...

Wow! You must come from a very, very athletic family!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

You're getting in some big bike minutes - I'm envious.

I'm not quite feeling the reverse brick idea, but I guess as long as the minutes are done, it doesn't matter what order they're in.

Hang in there with the crazy life - I'm right there too at the moment.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I can't imagine anything worse then running off the bike but I guess I've never tried a hard effort on the bike, post run....hmmm.
Keep pushing on the bike- you definitely have your focus in the right area for IM success!

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home