Tuesday, September 12, 2006

T-Minus...

...5 days until the Philly Distance Run
...68 days until the Philly Marathon
...313 days until the day that will change my life forever

Looking back to May of last year when I couldn't even run for 5 minutes without stopping, if you told me that on September 12, 2006 I'd be counting down the days to my upcoming half marathon, marathon and IRONMAN I'd tell you you're nuts. My health, physically and more importantly psychologically has changed so dramatically in the past 16 months because of my lifestyle change.

As my beautiful wife Silvia can attest, Lake Placid dominates my thoughts day in and day out...but how can it not? How can someone commit themselves to a challenge this massive and not be consumed by how'll they'll get the job done on their day of reckoning?

To segment my IMLP training, my two run races have given me some excellent short-term goals to shoot for in terms of building up my long run endurance. I'm really looking forward to the Philly Distance Run this Sunday. The great part about being an endurance sport rookie is that every time you race you get a PR! Sure it would be awesome to break 2 hours on Sunday, but at the end of the day if it doesn't happen life will go on. For now, crossing the finish line is the real victory regardless of what the clock shows.

The past week was a success by my standards in terms of my run volume. Here's the breakdown if you're interested:

Monday was my version of a speed workout. 5X1 mile with 1/4 mile cool down in between mile runs
Mile 1 : 8:25
Mile 2 : 7:42
Mile 3 : 7:32
Mile 4 : 7:36
Mile 5 : 7:20

All in all, with the 1/4 mile cool down runs in between it was a 6 mile workout, which lasted for 55:18.

Tuesday was a treadmill run. Lasted for one hour and managed to get 6.7 miles in.

Wednesday and Thursday I rested and caught up on the pile of work on my desk.

Friday I went for a swim. I'm not sure who told Captain Boring to write this workout, but it was pretty monotonous. 60X50 meter on 1 minute.

Saturday was a beautiful day to do a bike/run brick in Valley Forge. 1:31:59 on Cookie Monster followed by a 4.17 mile run, which spanned 38:22.

Sunday was hard. Sunday was really hard. To get over the psychological half marathon distance barrier, Silvia and I went for a 14 mile run. 14 miles is not short run. 2:28:27 is not a short run. But then again, 14 miles is nothing compared to 140.6 and 2:28:27 is nothing compared to 17:00:00. A little perspective helps every now and then!

Not a bad week at all for that guy who couldn't run for 5 minutes 16 months ago. A few training milestones reached this week worth noting. First week of 5+ hours of run training. First week of 30+ miles of run training. I am no gazelle, but I'm starting to think I can actually get across the Philly Marathon finish line in 9 weeks.

Here are the hour totals for the week:
Total Swim: 1:00:00
Total Bike: 1:31:59
Total Run: 5:01:57 (30.87 miles)
Total Workout Time: 7:33:56

Next post will be my Philly Distance Run Race Report. That's about all for now. Thanks for reading!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

That's awesome Jeremy.

I am still in my off season right now. My training buddy whom has done IM told me from now until July 22, I will be thinking about Lake Placid everyday.

Dang..he is right. I try not to think about it. Too much fear for now ;). Just relax, let my body and mind de-tri for a bit and come back next season with a rush.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment. Congrats on taking the step to sign up for an Ironman. That is a big step to take.

I'll follow along while you prep for IMLP '07 at the same time I'm prepping for IMC 07 which will be my 2nd IM.

Good luck!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Looking forward to hearing all about the PDR this weekend! Plus, we're toeing the line together for the Marathon, too. Watch out Philly!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home