Monday, October 30, 2006

Where Art Thou, Philly Marathon?

The days are getting colder and darker and with 20 days left until my first ever marathon I just want the damn race to start already!

Training runs are getting tougher and tougher to crank out outdoors with the lack of heat and light here in the Philly-area. This week is my last big week (big for me at least...read 40+ miles planned) before the marathon on November 19. I was originally going to rock my 20-mile training run last Sunday but I've chosen to make it this Sunday instead. Following the big 2-0 training run I'll bask in two weeks of joyous marathon taper. I can't wait to finish off the 20 miler. I think it's honestly more of a psychological thing at this point. With 20 days until the marathon I think my endurance and overall run fitness will probably change very little from where I'm at right now, but dammit I want a 20 miler under my belt!

I am still undecided over whether or not to join the Clif Bar Pace Team for the marathon. The brash and ignorant side of my personality tells me it may cheapen the whole experience if I have someone pace my butt across the finish line, but the rational side of my personality sure would like to hang with a posse for the race to make it a more enjoyable experience. Still not sure if "brash and ignorant" will win out over "rational" at this point? Anyone have an opinion on this topic?

Two days after the marathon I'm off to Florida for some R and R at my parents' place for an extended Turkey day vacation along side my beautiful wife who will also have just finished her first ever marathon! There is nothing quite like Thanksgiving in Florida. It's tough to beat being able to sit on the outdoor patio in late November with 70 to 80 degree heat while you carve up the bird!

After I get back from Florida I'll probably have another week of semi-slacking in the training department. Then comes Ironman Base Training!

Did I just say Ironman Base Training?! Holy Crap!

2 Comments:

Blogger Spokane Al said...

Good luck on your upcoming marathon. It sounds like you are more than ready!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Enjoy that taper. The decision to go with a pace group is hard. I think the Clif pace groups are pretty good. Maybe start off with one and if you feel good you can either take off or drop off and do your own thing. Being a first you may enjoy the company of others.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home