Marathon Training Peak Week
7 days...
6 runs...
...and 2 legs that are so ready for a taper!
My biggest marathon training week is in the books and I can say with total conviction that it was a complete success by my standards. When I started earnestly tracking my mileage in late July the idea of running 20 miles in one day or over 40 miles in one week seemed absurd. Week by week I slowly ramped up my miles and week by week the idea of finishing the Philadelphia Marathon went from being quite far fetched to being a realistic goal.
On Monday I set out on my neighborhood hill run, which always presents a good challenge for me. It seems like just days ago that it was 90 degrees and bright out when I would go for these runs after work. Now it's below 40 degrees and pitch black. Darkness and cold aside, I decided it was time to push my pace a bit. I ended up going faster on this loop on Monday than I had ever been. Final time was 34:13 for 4.18 miles, which is an 8:11 mile pace.
Tuesday I took the day off from running. It would be my only day off my feet for the week.
Wednesday and Thursday I rocked the treadmill instead of braving the cold and darkness. I am a total cold weather wuss! Wednesday was a one hour run and spanned 6.45 miles. 9:18 mile pace. Thursday was a 45 minute run and spanned 5.11 miles. 8:48 mile pace.
Friday I went back for another session of my neighborhood hill run. It was a little darker and a little colder than Monday. I was also a little slower. 35:03 for 4.18 miles. 8:23 mile pace.
Saturday I again opted for the treadmill and went for 1 hour and ran 6.30 miles. 9:31 mile pace.
Sunday was the granddaddy of them all. Sunday was my biggest test in my 4 month marathon training plan. Sunday represented the long road I have travelled on my way back to a healthy lifestyle. Sunday I ran 20 miles! I ran 20 miles and felt strong finishing. I can only hope that I feel just as strong finishing 26.2 by the Art Museum on the 19th! Total time = 3:19:22 (which included a 2+ minute detour back to my car to grab a bottle of gatorade because the water fountain on the trail was non-functional! In actuality, the run was probably about 20.1 miles because of the detour, but I won't split hairs on this one). Mile pace was 9:58 (again, including the detour).
Total run stats for the week:
Time: 7:13:38
Distance: 46.22 miles
Nearly all deposits in the Bank of Philadelphia Marathon have been made. Now I have a glorious 2 week taper to look forward to.
On a final note, I would like to say congrats to my fellow tri-bloggers who left their hearts out on the course at Ironman Florida this past Saturday. Kahuna, Stu, Nancy, Comm, Bold, Boomer, Travis and many many more...congratulations to all of you. You should be incredibly proud of yourselves. I certainly am!
Thanks for reading.
6 runs...
...and 2 legs that are so ready for a taper!
My biggest marathon training week is in the books and I can say with total conviction that it was a complete success by my standards. When I started earnestly tracking my mileage in late July the idea of running 20 miles in one day or over 40 miles in one week seemed absurd. Week by week I slowly ramped up my miles and week by week the idea of finishing the Philadelphia Marathon went from being quite far fetched to being a realistic goal.
On Monday I set out on my neighborhood hill run, which always presents a good challenge for me. It seems like just days ago that it was 90 degrees and bright out when I would go for these runs after work. Now it's below 40 degrees and pitch black. Darkness and cold aside, I decided it was time to push my pace a bit. I ended up going faster on this loop on Monday than I had ever been. Final time was 34:13 for 4.18 miles, which is an 8:11 mile pace.
Tuesday I took the day off from running. It would be my only day off my feet for the week.
Wednesday and Thursday I rocked the treadmill instead of braving the cold and darkness. I am a total cold weather wuss! Wednesday was a one hour run and spanned 6.45 miles. 9:18 mile pace. Thursday was a 45 minute run and spanned 5.11 miles. 8:48 mile pace.
Friday I went back for another session of my neighborhood hill run. It was a little darker and a little colder than Monday. I was also a little slower. 35:03 for 4.18 miles. 8:23 mile pace.
Saturday I again opted for the treadmill and went for 1 hour and ran 6.30 miles. 9:31 mile pace.
Sunday was the granddaddy of them all. Sunday was my biggest test in my 4 month marathon training plan. Sunday represented the long road I have travelled on my way back to a healthy lifestyle. Sunday I ran 20 miles! I ran 20 miles and felt strong finishing. I can only hope that I feel just as strong finishing 26.2 by the Art Museum on the 19th! Total time = 3:19:22 (which included a 2+ minute detour back to my car to grab a bottle of gatorade because the water fountain on the trail was non-functional! In actuality, the run was probably about 20.1 miles because of the detour, but I won't split hairs on this one). Mile pace was 9:58 (again, including the detour).
Total run stats for the week:
Time: 7:13:38
Distance: 46.22 miles
Nearly all deposits in the Bank of Philadelphia Marathon have been made. Now I have a glorious 2 week taper to look forward to.
On a final note, I would like to say congrats to my fellow tri-bloggers who left their hearts out on the course at Ironman Florida this past Saturday. Kahuna, Stu, Nancy, Comm, Bold, Boomer, Travis and many many more...congratulations to all of you. You should be incredibly proud of yourselves. I certainly am!
Thanks for reading.


5 Comments:
Good luck with your last two weeks! I'm ready for the race to be here.
Awesome job on your training! Can't wait to hear about you totally rocking that race.
:)
Jeremy,
I sure miss those 3 hr + training runs for marathon.
Enjoy your taper....
Congratulations on your final tough training week. I hope you enjoy your well deserved taper and rock the marathon.
I have two words for you.
Rock.
Star.
You are going to kick ass and take names! 9 days AND COUNTING!!
Post a Comment
<< Home