Momentum
Momentum as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary is a "strength or force gained by motion or through the development of events".
For weeks on end I felt momentum was building in my favor as I piled on week after week of solid base building. Last week started off terrific. By Saturday I felt incredible after my 5 hour brick (4 hour trainer ride followed immediately by a 1 hour run). But as luck would have it on Sunday morning I managed to come down with a nasty head cold (or flu, not quite sure still)which continues to persist. Last week's totals weren't hideous. In an abbreviated workout week I still managed to put in 9:03:40 of training. Not bad, but certainly not what I had planned.
One thing I've learned throughout my athletic life is that it does not pay dividends to train hard when you are ill. Unfortunately, this week thus far has been a complete wash for training because of my health. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Goose egg. This morning was the first morning in four days that I haven't woken up with a horrible sore throat. So tonight I'll do my best to make it to the pool.
Time to re-gain some momemtum, 'cause that little race I'm training for will be here before I know it.
For weeks on end I felt momentum was building in my favor as I piled on week after week of solid base building. Last week started off terrific. By Saturday I felt incredible after my 5 hour brick (4 hour trainer ride followed immediately by a 1 hour run). But as luck would have it on Sunday morning I managed to come down with a nasty head cold (or flu, not quite sure still)which continues to persist. Last week's totals weren't hideous. In an abbreviated workout week I still managed to put in 9:03:40 of training. Not bad, but certainly not what I had planned.
One thing I've learned throughout my athletic life is that it does not pay dividends to train hard when you are ill. Unfortunately, this week thus far has been a complete wash for training because of my health. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Goose egg. This morning was the first morning in four days that I haven't woken up with a horrible sore throat. So tonight I'll do my best to make it to the pool.
Time to re-gain some momemtum, 'cause that little race I'm training for will be here before I know it.


5 Comments:
I hate being sick. Having children though makes this a regular occurance. Get healthy and great job on the 5 hour brick. I am so not looking forward to 4 hours in the saddle. I actually don't think I have this on my schedule for a couple more weeks.
Dave
I hear you. I missed today's workputs with illness! You know you have to rest but you are still thinking about July 22nd. (Or at least I am.
Have you been taking any recovery weeks? Maybe your body is telling you something? Take the time as a blessing in disguise...you may just need a break! Feel better...
That sucks Jeremy. In early January, I missed 6 days with the worst flu I can remember having. I felt just plain horrible and spent nearly the entire week in bed. I barely ate a thing. I was worried that my whole training plan was going to fall apart. Instead of rushing back like I normally do, I actually waited until I felt healthy, and I bounced right back. I don't think the week off hurt me at all. In some ways I think it made me stronger. Listen to your body.
Jeremy,
5 hr brick..monster :) I ain't planning those until when spring comes. Then again, I did thought about doing a 3 hr bike + 2 hr run (just to see how well my body at taking in the nutrition).
I hope you get well soon. I am w/ you on the sick situation. When I sick, I back down my training. Miss one or two days of training b/c of illness is better than try to risk the body and get sick for a week or two.
Post a Comment
<< Home