Monday, February 19, 2007

Really Living

Joel Friel & Gordo Bryn poignantly start their Ironman training book, Going Long, with a quote that really hits home for me: "One is never ready for an ironman-distance race. The event is far too big for that."

Well, Joel and Gordo...I believe what you're preaching...particularly following a week of recovery. But not recovery like the standard 3 weeks hard 1 week recovery, which most of you tri-geeks are familiar with. I am talking recovery like recover from a damn flu which knocked out six straight days of my training. Yep, I didn't do a single second of training between Sunday, February 11 until this past Saturday, February 15. This past weekend I did manage to get back on the horse and put in 2 hours of swimming (6000 yards) and 2 hours of trainer riding.

If IMLP were tomorrow, it wouldn't be a challenge I'd be ready for. Not mentally and certainly not physically. This journey is a massive undertaking and last week was a certain setback. But if there's one characteristic I define myself by, it is determination.

I will be damned if I'm going to let a tiny setback screw with my goals. This journey is all about hope, courage and the will to never give up. I'm back in a huge way this week. It's time to push my limits, my boundaries and my preconceived notions of "possible".

Kona Legend, Mark Allen once said: "Unless you test yourself, you stagnate. Unless you try to go way beyond what you’ve been able to do before, you won’t develop and grow. When you go for it 100%, when you don’t have the fear of “what if I fail”, that’s when you learn. That’s when you’re really living."

It's time to start really living.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Well said Jeremy...here's to pushing the envelope in 07 brother!

12:31 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Glad to hear that you are once again on the mend and ready to rock. Your post says it all.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Nicely written.

Now go out and get it!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

***** YEAH! *****

2:01 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well put.

when you don’t have the fear of “what if I fail”, that’s when you learn.

I was capture by this from the whole post. A huge part of IM training is to let go of the fear. Fear of failing, of not able to reach it.

The real training ain't starting until April or so. That's when we really start turning up the heat.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home